Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The fall and the Charge....

Today's writings are on the expedition of the morning. It was blissfully raining all the night as i and bhatta chatted along on life and its trappings. we surely dont know when we slept, but then waking up, it was only the sound of falling rain outside.

i wanted to get out early, but as is usual to me, laziness overcame me. soon i had a jolt after bhatta left early, and then i thot okay honey, lets move. came out i, draped in the windcheater, and the umbrella, on the auto with dubeyji to bandra.

interesting person he was, talking about life from jaunpur, and the fact that he wanted to join the army and how life took a twist at the final hurdle. yet he dropped me safe n sound in bandra station and there despite my cautiousness in the soggy floorings of the platform i slipped and fell on the stairs in the crowd the rains n in my own overcautiousness....

that is where i felt like "what a fall it was my countrymen..." as mark anthony might have said then. infact i think it was a reminder to me from up above that even if i am aiming for a cnn award, i shudnt focus on the award but on the integrity of my writings. good reminder buddy, i know u r always there with me.

hence the fall was peaceful.


---------------
Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms,
Quite vanquish'd him: then burst his mighty heart;
And, in his mantle muffling up his face,
Even at the base of Pompey's statua,
Which all the while ran blood, great Caesar fell.
O, what a fall was there, my countrymen!
Then I, and you, and all of us fell down,
Whilst bloody treason flourish'd over us.
--------------------



so from there in the rains, half outside my torso getting drenched in the churchgate i moved. humming came naturally to me then, i was singing, "dil yeh jo sapno mein aaya"....and then it so happened that at marine lines station i guess i had this weird feeling as if like i am on an expedition and this was just nothing..an expedition like king solomon's mines story....

from there reached churchgate, and there the cab guy was an equally blessed one like me, his door handle had been knocked off in the morning, and i said to him, good that we two met up, means the rest of the day will be great for both of us. he said a lovely lines, "sab uparwalaa ke lenaa yaa dena hain, isiliye koi bhi nuksaaan yeh gains par kaabhi jyada khush yaa dukhi nahin honi chahiye." vaah saahaab, kya lavz hain, didnt they sound so much like kipling, when he said,
"If you can meet triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same."

so off we, as in my body, drenched, fighting to reach office, and my soul, which was wandering around where i dont know, but surely in the monsoons of mumbai, into office.

entering a colleague asks me, why the trains had stopped. how can people ask such questions i sometimes wonder...but then i reasoned it out with the following lines from this poem....

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
-----Their's not to reason why,-------
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.



So there it is the Fall and the charge...lifes going to be interesting for sure i can smell it around me.

adios ....
`thechild.

No comments: