Monday, April 03, 2006

Youngs Guys writing to me, Fill me with Tears...

May god bless them with the right direction...A mail from a very close junior from undergrad, one of the nicest blokes i have seen in life, highly promising, at the crossroads of life..What exactly can i tell him, save, keep the faith, keep working hard, its all the same story all the time, then, now, forever!!!
May god bless you dear...

love u dear...



Dear Chiru,

Hi...Its been a long time since I wrote to u...But I think u r intelligent enuf to interpret such spells of silence...

Today I need the advice of an elder brother...And I am turning to u for the same...

D's story:
I joined TCS hoping to work in the field of GIS...GIS in terms of technology holds levels of promise as mobile telephony did 15 years earlier...TCS had promised to provide me with opportunites where I wud get to use my architecture/planning skills as domain inputs and combine the same in working on some state of the art GIS projects...Sadly, enuf that did not happen...I did join TCS (the eventful day was the 28th of July, 2005...the maundy thursday of my life...)I went thru an excellent trng program and manage to top the trng...But I was in for a cruel shock when I came to Delhi...The GIS group did not have any projects...But then they did get a big project related to the oil and gas domain...halliburton was the client...a big name...one of the senior members of the GIS group recruited me for this project...atleast it was better than sitting on the bench...(the ones who didnt join this project are still sitting on the bench !)...

now...i was a fresher in a project populated by grandmas and grandmoms...they first wanted me to be a shadow resource...one who wud chip in when others wud be holidaying...its just like the rig u knw...the billing cant stop...so someone has to be all the altar to be sacrificed to the gods of halliburton...

but then the gods felt othewise...my client made me a fulltime billable resource...and a gentleman with almost four years of experience was sacrificed...the tcs manager felt bad...for his bet had been mocked and crucified by the client...

I like my client...he is a very practical and nice man...I am a member of a 3 member team...my team lead has 9 yrs of experience...my boss is from hell...and i shall soon land up in hell for cursing her always...

the folks in tcs are mediocre...mediocre too is a superlative degree for their skills...
the management sucks...docile group leaders and spineless managers...
the company hardly pays a salary...

but still I continue to battle...rarely do I get credit for my performance...the boss takes all the credit...but then I am patient...

all this while...i made a resolve...to go for a management degree...

I have joined TIME weekend classes...
I have been part of organisation initatives...(Corporate Social Responsibilty, I represent the TCS Gurgaon debating team, ushered in strategical changes...like a system of 360 degree feedback and many more, essay competitions, etc...)

I shall take CAT 2006 in November...and GMAT in August 2006...

Now, if u r wondering as to wht makes me write this mail other than a crib story being scripted...

well, my accuracy is fairly good for my cat preps...but then my speed is very, very slow...somehow i am not feeling very confident to crack the CAT...Though, I really want to do it...

I am fearful...wht happens if I am unable to bell the cat ???

i am also considering isb, hyd as a strong choice...for that i need a good gmat score...720 plus...i m confident of achieving that...
the essays i can manage...reccos...that too sudnt be much of a problem...

another surprise has come my way...my client wants me to visit houston for a month...sometime between august/sept/oct...the dates for the same have not been finalized...that wud affect my preps as well if I have to go...

Now I want to ask u...sud I continue working with TCS or look for better opportunites elsewhere...(e.g. evalueserve.com where I cud work in the area of business research...inductis...again a consulting role...etc...)these opportunites wud be more rewaring in terms of compensation and HOPEFULLY workwise as well...

but then a job hop wud mean that I get the label of an unstable employee as well...one who jumps...(this might not be very productive in terms of my B-school application for ISB, hyderabad)

on the other hand...

existence each day in tcs is a battle...the crib story sud paint a picture to u...

Chiru Da...I need ur insights to help me make a decision...

Looking forward to hearing frm u soon...

Mom keeps remembering u very often......

I hope that u r doing well...Do write back abt happngs at ur end...

Luv,
d

No comments: